Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Destinations

I took a few days off from the store to come to celebrate my anniversary with the wife in one of my favorite cities in the world, New Orleans.  I truly to love it here.  Everything about it, the food, the nightlife, the architecture, the whole vibe.  This is the first time I've ever come that I needed a jacket to wander around, so that was something new.  I always try to find something new in every place I visit.  You've got to keep things interesting.  Bland is a terrible taste and beige is the worst color.  New Orleans is neither.

Everytime I travel, I gauge that city for "motorcycle-worthiness", meaning, "Would I spend any of the precious time I have on my bike by coming here?"  I've ridden to NOLA before, so it passes the test.  Boy howdy, does it pass.  I actually made a Mardis Gras bike ride here that happened to coincide with a business meeting I had.  Don't think I didn't imagine myself riding with Hopper and Fonda to the same event....

It's this time of year that I really long for those road trips.  I look back at the year and ask myself, "Did I take advantage of every opportunity to ride" that I might have had?  Did I go to the places I wanted to go?  It's also when I start making plans for the coming year.  Perhaps not yet in stone on my calendar, but they're booked in my mind for sure.  I think about routes, time of year, things to do.  It keeps my mind excited about the prospect of twisting the throttle, letting out the clutch, and riding.  Yeah, I've heard it too, "It's about the journey, not the destination".  I agree with that as well, so lets think of the "destinations" as I'm referring to them as not so much of where the ride ends, as much as...."waypoints".

Start picking your destinations.  Spring will be here before you know it.

SMB

1 comment:

  1. Scott, you are a true die hard when it comes to riding year round. I would ride shotgun with you anytime for I ride year round also. So keep on riding and blogging so we all can enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete