Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Birthday Present for Me.

Through my ramblings or by coming into the store or even some other connection of family or friendship you have with me, I'd suspect you've come to know a bit about the person I refer to as "My Princess."

http://abumpontheroad.blogspot.com/2012/05/letter-to-princess.html

Today she turns 18 years old.  A childhood finished and a life as an adult emerges.  I remember turning 18.  It didn't seem like much of a big deal to me then, in fact, the only thing I distinctly remember doing was registering for the draft.  So much for that.  I told her earlier today that really the only thing that would really be different today as compared to yesterday is that she could go to jail.... What a motivational speech that was, but anyway.

Our days of having Haiden at home are fast whittling down.  In less than two weeks she'll be gone, off to school and whatever else lies ahead, leaving me here with two boys that don't yet know how much they are going to miss her and her mother, whom I'm fairly sure I'll have to put on medication.  She'll be moving up to Murfreesboro to attend college (on a full academic scholarship, I might add) and will be working for my brother up at BHD in the Boro.  I'm so excited for her but I dread the silence from that first room up the stairs on the left and that empty hole in my heart that she still fills every day with her sweet kisses upon my cheek.

But..... This week, I have a treat coming to me. 

When I graduated from High School, the greatest gift I received from my Dad was the opportunity to accompany him on a motorcycle road trip.  We covered about 4000 miles together over the course of a week or so traversing the Rocky Mountains and the Great American Plains.  To call it a trip I'll never forget is an understatement.  It was one of the formative periods of my life, one that I don't go more than a day or two thinking about. 

My treat this week is that the Princess and I will be setting out on a motorcycle adventure of our own.  I'm so excited about it I can hardly contain it.  I try to read her thoughts on it to see a glimpse of that excitement, but I remember being in her place. This is new to her and as I remember myself, I didn't have any idea the magnitude of what lay before me.  I just hope that I can make next week as memorable for her as it undoubtedly will be for me.  Just like my Dad did.

Your prayers and well wishes will be greatly appreciated as we strike out Monday Morning.  Those who plan to to the passport ride to Lynchburg and Murfreesboro will be accompanying us on that first leg.

Happy Birthday Princess, and thank you in advance for this wonderful gift to me.

I'll keep y'all posted as the opportunity presents itself.

Ride Safe, and with Purpose.

SMB

4 comments:

  1. It will be a trip both of you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i graduated from High School my dad and I took a trip down through the Ozarks. It was a great time and I loved the time that we spent together. Just the two of us and no one else. It was great. Have fun and ride safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy, that sounds amazing. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Furthermore, my Dad kept a journal on that trip that he gave me some years back. I can go and relive it, in his handwriting, whenever I wish. Thanks for the kind comments.

      Delete